Quotes I Wish I'd Read When : I Needed Self-Love

I thought I'd start doing a series of my favourite quotes that I've seen, or been told, or been sent along the way.
I often find myself leaning on positive affirmations to help me figure out what I'm feeling, and what I can do to change it, especially when nothing else seems to put my mind at rest.
Pinterest is my go - to for quotes, but Instagram often has a lot which I save so instead of hoarding them on my camera roll I thought I'd share them in the hope that they inspire or reassure somebody else feeling the same way.

Today's collection is full of quotes that have helped me when I felt lost in what I was doing, wether it was in my studies or in my day - to - day life.




















This one is particularly thought provoking for me especially when I find myself leaning towards other people's decisions and going with the flow a bit too much. It's so easy to let yourself be swayed by what you think is easiest and what will cause the least amount of fuss, but quite often that can spiral into you forgetting what you truly do or don't like to do. Being cooperative is something, but don't forget to trust your instincts and put yourself first occasionally.


 This one tends to echo the quote above, but it places more emphasis on your own choices and the reason we are all here on this little planet! There is only one of you, so commit to creating the best version you can as nobody else can do it but you. There is a difference between being selfish when it effects those around you, and being selfish when it contributes to the real you.


I will be the first person to hold my hands up and say 'it's all good telling me I can, but what if I can't?' It looks like such a meaningless quote, but I like this one because it is something I am truly passionate about. In my last year of school we would often talk about what we wanted to do when we left, and what everybody else would do or who they would become. So many people we thought about had given up passions, boys not pursuing musical instruments because it wasn't cool even though they knew full well they loved it and were good at it. Or girls dropping out of sport even though they enjoyed it, even if they were good at it, because they didn't want to get musclier legs and didn't want to come back looking sweaty. All these things angered me purely because they had given up something they enjoyed, all for the sake of this unwritten rule of what they thought they SHOULD be doing, or looking like. But why? Who says?
I say, if you want to do something - 'want' being the optimum word as it means you're dedicated and that's the first big bridge to cross when you're about to do something supposedly controversial- then go and bloody do it, because until somebody proves you can't, you most definitely can.




This quote resonates with me the most often as I find myself comparing my lifestyle, my body, my belongings and even my family to others. And most often it is through photographs that those 'others' have shared for us to see. Which means that they may not quite be sharing the full picture (metaphorically and literally!). These quotes all contribute to the same message which ultimately is : BE YOURSELF.
I cannot stress enough that once you truly accept who you are (which means disregarding anyone else's opinion of yourself) you will be happy and as long as you're happy, you can't go far wrong.
xxx

Comments

Popular Posts